Sunday, November 20, 2011

Happy Holidays

It's no secret that we, as a society, for the most part, have been conditioned to act and speak politically correctly.  It's the typical way of the world now. Housewives have become "domestic engineers". Mailmen have become "letter carriers".  Etc., etc., etc. But what about when it comes to the holidays?

Growing up Catholic and attending Catholic grammar school, I really only knew about Catholic holidays.  I knew nothing about Hanukkah or Kwanzaa.  Heck, I didn't even know Jews celebrated Thanksgiving until I got to high school.  (Truth!)  And because there are so many different people and cultures celebrating different holidays and seasons, is it really so bad to take the safe route when you're not sure and just wish "Happy Holidays"?

I don't think using a general "Happy Holidays" greeting is about being politically correct or taking the religious aspect out of anything.  It's about "I don't know what you celebrate, but whatever it is, I hope it's a good one!"

Think about this.  If a Jewish person wished me a "Happy Hanukkah", I wouldn't be offended.  However, I would be like, "Well thanks, but I don't celebrate Hanukkah." That's the same way a Jewish person would react if I wished them a "Merry Christmas". No one holiday is better or more important than another and we shouldn't assume that someone else has the same beliefs or interests that we do.  As long as I keep the true meaning of Christmas alive with those who also celebrate the true meaning of Christmas, what's so wrong with me not saying "Merry Christmas" to someone whose beliefs I am unaware of?

I see no harm in being "politically correct" (for lack of a better term), but that doesn't mean I believe it's okay to forget about the true meaning of your respective holiday.  As a Christian, I need to keep Christ in Christmas.  As it is, Christmas has become so commercialized, with retailers starting earlier and earlier with their decorating and big sales.  And while I, too, am guilty of getting caught up in the Black Friday hype (which now begins late Thanksgiving night), as long as when the day comes I remember why it even exists, I haven't totally fallen victim to the typical ways of the world.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you. We can respect other people's holidays without abandoning our own.

    ReplyDelete